Utility Services

Utility Services building Contact Us

Bay County Utility Services Department
3410 Transmitter Road
Panama City, FL 32404

Phone: (850)248-5010
Fax: (850)248-5006

Location Map
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located and what are your office hours?

We are located at 3410 Transmitter Rd, Panama City FL 32404. Our office hours are 7:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

What payment methods are available for me to pay my utility bill?

There are five options on how you can pay your utility bill.

  1. In Person. The Bay County Utility Services Administration Building is located at 3410 Transmitter Road in Panama City. We accept cash, checks, money orders, debit and credit card payments (with a valid ID). We only accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards.
  2. Drop Box. The drop box is located to the right of the front entrance of the Utility Services Department Building. You can drop your bill off at any time in that box. The box is emptied every morning, Monday through Friday. Any payment received after 7:30am, will be posted to your account the next business day.
  3. On Line. You can pay your utility bill on line. Please have your utility bill close by when you set up your account and/or pay your bill. Click here to pay your water bill online. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for payment to post to your Utility account. Please do not use this service if you are at risk of disconnection.
  4. Credit card over the phone. You can call the Bay County Utility Services Administration Building at (850) 248-5010 to pay your utility bill over the phone with a credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover at no additional fee.
  5. Through Postal Mail. You can mail in your Utility payment by sending it to the Bay County Utility Services Administration building. Please give the mail enough time to get here so that there is no late fee applied.

Where do I go, what do I need to do, and what do I need to bring to set up a new water and sewer account?

To set up a new water and/or sewer account you must come in to the Bay County Utility Services Administration Building. You will need to complete an application, provide a picture ID, a copy of the lease or proof of sale for the home, and pay a deposit. The deposit includes a water deposit of $60, a sewer deposit of $110, and a $15 non-refundable service charge which will total $185. If you have an irrigation meter there is an extra $60 deposit which will make your deposit $245, set up all together. If you choose to set up your irrigation account at a later date, you will have a deposit of $60 plus the $15 non-refundable service charge that will total $75 for the irrigation account. Deposits are retained on your utility account until you terminate services. They are then applied to your final bill and any outstanding fees. You will be billed for the remaining balance or refunded the difference.

To set up a commercial/business water and sewer account, you must come into the Bay County Utility Services Administration Building. You will need to complete an application, provide a picture ID and pay a deposit. Commercial/Business deposit amount increase based off of meter size. The minimum deposit for water is $150, sewer $150, and a $15 non-refundable service charge which will total $315.

Where do I report water leaks or water emergencies?

To report a water leak or water emergency you can call (850) 248-5010 during regular office hours or you can call (850) 872-4786 after regular office hours.

How do I have my service restored after disconnection for non-payment?

The due date for all residential water / sewer bills is 15 days after the bills are mailed. Accounts for which payments are not received by the due date will receive a 10% late penalty. Any accounts that have not been paid within 15 days of the due date (30 days after bills are mailed) will be subject to disconnection. Accounts disconnected for non-payment will require payment of the outstanding balance plus a reconnect fee in order to restore service. Deposits will not be used to cover the past due balance. The fee to be reconnected is $40.00.

Beginning September 1, 2016: Accounts that are disconnected for non-payment will be reconnected the same day if payment is made by 5:00 pm on the day of disconnect. Accounts that are paid after the day of disconnect will be turned on the same day if payment is made by 1:00 pm. Any accounts paid after 1:00 pm will not be reconnected until the next business day. Bay County Utilities will no longer offer after hour reconnection.

How do I locate the master water valve in my house?

The most common locations for the master water supply valve in a home or apartment are:

  • where the water supply pipe enters the home
  • near the clothes washer hook-up
  • near the water heater

Once, you've located the master valve, mark it with something distinctive bright paint, a flag or ribbon. This will save valuable time should you ever experience interior flooding or other crises requiring quick water shut-off.

How can I tell if I have a leak?

To check for water leaks you can use your water meter. To do so follow these easy steps:

  1. Turn off all the water uses in your house (faucets, dishwasher, laundry, irrigation system, etc.) and grab a screwdriver.
  2. Find your water meter. In most cases, it will be in front of your house near the sidewalk or street. The meter is in a small underground box. Look for a rectangular meter cover that could be made of cement, metal, or plastic.
  3. Lift the cover using the screwdriver or other tool.
  4. If there is more than one meter in the box, either you have more than one meter or one belongs to your neighbor. If you have two meters and one is for the irrigation system, turn on the irrigation system to find out which is the irrigation meter. If you share a meter box and one belongs to your neighbor, you can turn on an outside spigot on your house and see which meter turns in response to find out which meter is yours.
  5. Once you have identified the proper meter, lift the meter cap and look for the flow indicator a small red or black triangle. If the flow indicator is not moving, there is no leak.
  6. Close the meter cap to protect the lens, and carefully replace the meter cover.

What can I do if I have a leak and don't know where it's coming from?

A series of simple tests will identify the most common types of leaks:

  1. Double-check to see that all water was turned off. What about automatic refill usage, such as the pool, fountain, water softener, automatic ice maker, and hot water heater?
  2. Is the leak indoors or outdoors? Turn off the master shutoff valve, and if the flow indicator is still spinning, your leak is outdoors between the meter and the shutoff valve. Locate and repair underground leaks as soon as possible, because if left unchecked, they could cause property damage.
  3. If the leak is indoors, first check the toilets. Shut off all toilets using the valve at the wall behind the toilet, and check the flow indicator. If it stops spinning, at least one toilet is spinning. Turn them on one by one, checking the flow indicator after each one; more than one toilet could be leaking.
  4. Check other appliances, including water softener, water heater, water cooled air conditioner, and automatic ice maker. Almost all have bypass valves. Turn them off one by one, checking the meter between each.
  5. Turn off the master valve to the irrigation system and check the meter. This will identify a leak in the headworks of the irrigation system, but not in the distribution pipes or sprinkler heads.

If none of these tests locate your leak, it's time to call the plumber.

How do I know who services water to my home?

To find out which service area you are in view our Service Area Map.